A member of Lions International, a world-wide voluntary service organisation. Members come from all walks of life and do their best to fulfil the Lions motto "We Serve". The Club is a registered charity (No.1031574) Club activities come under two main headings Fund Raising and Community Service.
Fund-raising This vital aspect of our activities enables us to engage in our community service projects. We rely on the generosity of members of the local community to provide the funds to back up all the projects listed below. Funds are sought through numerous fund-raising activities.
In recent years these have included:
- Duck Derby
- Race and Quiz Nights
- Art Exhibition
- Children’s Play Area at Stonor Craft Fair
- Car Parking during Henley Royal Regatta
Community Service, the Club seeks to serve the local community wherever need is identified, assisting groups and individuals as appropriate
Recent projects have included:
- Assisting individuals in distress
- Working with the physical and mentally handicapped
- Providing hospital equipment and patients' comforts
- Helping to supply food parcels to those in need
- Organizing outings and sometimes holidays for the elderly or disadvantaged
- Helping young people through sponsorship
- Making a garden at a for a home for the elderly
- Making a garden along the Reading Road in support of Henley in Bloom
- Promoting drug awareness programs in local schools
Lions are members of Lions Clubs International, a community service organisation dedicated to the idea that the men and women who live in a community are in the best position to know who needs help and why. Local Clubs are part of the world's largest such organization, with 1.3 million members serving in more than 203 countries and geographic areas. The association is both non-political and non-sectarian
Our international activities feature humanitarian projects and include: support for eye hospitals in India; helping with the collection of thousands of pairs of spectacles for recycling in the third world; and through Lions Clubs International Fund (LCIF), we contribute to helping in disaster areas by immediate support of the relief projects of Lions Clubs in the affected areas.